Certificate in Indigenous Human Resource Essentials – Level One
The Indigenous Certificate of Human Resource Essentials – Level One provides a foundation in Human Resources to allow organizations to effectively manage a variety of vital services delivered to the members of their community. New and improved processes will be developed throughout the organization which will enhance quality and efficiency of their internal procedures. This program is a practical and interactive behaviour changing program that produces measurable results.
The Human Resource challenges in our First Nation client organizations are unique and the Indigenous Certificate of Human Resource Essentials was created to understand this. The program will address the following six areas:
- Ethics & Professionalism in the Workplace
- Recruitment and Selection
- Communicating Effectively & Conflict Management
- Effective Employee Performance Management
- Team Building for Success
- Essentials of Policy Manuals
Below is a description of the 6 modules of the program with instructional hours and intended learning outcomes.
- Experiencing Ethics and Professionalism
- The Good, the Bad, the Ugly of Ethical Decision Making
- Ethics & Professionalism Defined
- Why is Ethics and Professionalism an Issue?
- Ethics is Complex and Not Easy
- Does Where You Live and What You Do Make a Difference?
- Ethics – Bullying and Lateral Violence
- Why Do People Fall Into Unethical Behaviour?
- Ethics Begins at the Top
- Six Principles of Ethical Decision Making
- How can Ethics and Professionalism be Managed at Work?
- Steps to Ethical Decision Making
- Accurately Identify the Minimum Requirements and Preferred Qualifications
- Compile the Interview Questions and a Rating Scale
- Validate the Tests and Selection Procedures to Ensure it is Job Related
- Choose a Selection Committee
- Understand the Importance of a Fair and Unbiased Interview Process
- Compile the Selection Committee’s Feedback, Analyze it and Report Findings
- Conduct Reference Checks and Understand the Impact on the Overall Decision-Making
- Understand the Steps to Present, Negotiate and Finalize an Offer of Employment
- Present an Offer of Employment
- Why and How Do We Communicate?
- The Impact of Personality Type on Communication
- Encountering Barriers to Communication
- Verbal and Non-Verbal Communication
- Personality, Life Attitudes and Communication Style
- Effective Questions, Effective Listening
- Crossed Communication and Conflict
- Conflict Styles and Constructive Confrontation
- How to Establish Clear Performance Standards and Adapt a Template
- Practice for Implementation
- Steps to Effective Appraisal Meetings
- Strategies for Progressive Discipline
- Dealing with Cannabis and Alcohol
- Defining the Purpose of Progressive Discipline
- Infractions, Misconducts & Behaviours vs Policies
- Uncovering the 5 Levels of Progressive Discipline
- The Impact of Bill C-45 in the workplace
- Prepare, Document, Communicate & Review
- Describe what an Effective Team Looks Like
- Understand and Apply the Stages of Team Development
- Determine the Different Roles Team Members Play
- Create Strategies to Address “Five Dysfunctions of a Team”
- Identify Your Own Role in Helping to Build a High Performing Team
- Understand the Value of HR Policies
- Identify the Range and Scope of HR Policies Needed in an Organization
- Understand How to Structure and Write Effective Policies and Procedures
- Understand Pitfalls of Policy Writing
- Policy Rollout Strategies
Frequently Asked Questions
How will the participants be assessed/evaluated?
During the first introductory session, course overview and reading materials will be introduced and reviewed such that all aspects and requirements of the program are well understood. Upon completion of each session, participants will be required to read, listen, complete the accompanying assessments, and write their personal and applied business goals in readiness for their next personal meeting.
What is the total training duration/length & total training hours?
The program will be delivered over 6 meetings. One course will be reviewed per day, 6 instructional hours per day. This program is delivered in two formats.
- Community Based – an employer identifies employees to complete certification within a determined time frame. Training location is selected by the employer, often completed in the community.
- Individual Workshop – training is held in a central location and registration is open to individuals from all communities. Courses are held every 2 – 3 months and attendees complete certification at their own pace.
What is the cost of this course?
The cost of the course is $3,000.00 per individual.
Who is the instructor that will be facilitating this course?
Legacy Bowes has a talented team of facilitators. A program’s facilitator is selected and paired based on training location, training dates and best fit to the unique needs of each training group.
Is there a limit on the number of participants who can participate at one time?
There is no minimum or maximum for our course (If preferred, we can present in one to one training) but our preferred course size is in the range of 12 – 20 people. Give us a call and we can build a tailored training program to help your team reach new heights!